Saturday, January 15, 2011

Great books for the summer!



I'm super excited as my sisters just gave me this fabulous book:


Phage and the Origins of Molecular Biology, The Centennial Edition

Here's its description:

This hugely influential book, published in 1966 as a 60th birthday tribute to Max Delbrück, is now republished as The Centennial Edition. On first publication, the book was hailed as “[introducing] into the literature of science, for the first time, a self–conscious historical element in which the participants in scientific discovery engage in writing their own chronicle. As such, it is an important document in the history of biology...” (Journal of History of Biology). And in another review it was described as “required reading for every student of experimental biology...[who] will sense the smell and rattle of the laboratory” (Bioscience). The book was a formative influence on many of today’s leading scientists.

I'm currently finishing Watson's Double Helix for the 2nd time (a great edition I picked up in the States a few years ago), so this will be a great read after that. Also in my reading queue:


which is sitting in my desk asking me when I will pick it up.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 Comments:

Alex said...

OK, I just ordered the phage book. Exactly what I was looking for but didn't know. ;) Might also come in handy for lectures!

Alejandro Montenegro-Montero said...

Indeed. I hope you enjoy it!